Sunday, March 27, 2011

Lasagna Soup

Ok so since I posted about the Lasagna Soup on Facebook I've had a lot of requests for the recipe so here it is:

1 lb ground Italian sausage
2 cups onions, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth or stock
1 can Italian style stewed tomatoes, chopped (14.5 oz)
1 can tomato sauce (10.75 oz)
1 1/4 cup pasta (penne, mafalda, small sea shells. I use whole wheat organic penne)
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped (about 1/2 of a 6 oz bag)
1 cup provolone or fresh mozzarella cheese, diced (I buy the shredded mozzarella)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
4 tea. fresh basil, sliced

Procedure: Brown sausage in large pot over medium high heat. Add onions and carrots; saute' 3 minutes.
Stir in mushrooms and garlic, saute' another 3 minutes
Add broth, stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce; bring to boil. Drop in pasta, simmer until cooked, about 10 min. or follow package directions.
Stir in spinach and cook until wilted.
Place 1/4 cup diced cheese (I use the shredded mozzarella) into serving bowls and pour soup on top. Garnish with parmesan and basil. Serve with crusty Italian bread. Makes 4 servings. Buono Appetito!

My notes: You can add dry or fresh basil to the soup along with oregano salt and pepper and a little Tony's. I think I used 6 cloves of garlic (yum!)

Also - when I made this I didn't have spinach or mushrooms - I used Zuchinni and 1/2 of a large red pepper instead and it was delicious! So use what you have in your fridge! I also didn't have a can of tomato sauce - I used 1 large can (28 oz) or diced tomatoes instead.

No comments: