Thursday, October 22, 2009

Baked Potato Soup

Instead of green onions I sauteed a yellow onion and 2 cloves of garlic in the pan I fried the bacon in and I substitued 3.5 cups of chicken stock for 3.5 cups of milk (calls for 7 cups of milk - I split in half with chicken stock) also I didn't have cheddar so I used asiago

PREP TIME 15 Min COOK TIME 25 Min READY IN 40 Min SERVINGS (Help) Servings US METRIC

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
12 slices bacon (I used bacon AND Pancetta)
2/3 cup margarine (I used butter)
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
7 cups milk (3.5 cups of milk and 3.5 cups of chicken stock i used)
4 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed (i used red potatoes, probably about 8, peeled 6 of them and boiled them while I was frying the bacon and sauteeing the onions)
4 green onions, chopped (I used a yellow onion chooped in a food processor and sauteed in the bacon with 2 cloves of garlic) - But I used scallions to garnish
1 1/4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (I used grated Asiago - you can use whatever cheese you fancy)
1 cup sour cream 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper (I added some red pepper flakes for a kick)
DIRECTIONSPlace bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium heat until browned. Drain, crumble, and set aside. In a stock pot or Dutch oven, melt the margarine over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk, whisking constantly until thickened. Stir in potatoes and onions. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Mix in bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted.

Garnish with bacon, scallions, grated cheese and sour cream - and it's even better the next day!

1 comment:

Brian said...

Wowsers! That looks great! Definitely gonna make some of this! Thanks! -Brian A